IGNITE student media is run by a team of dedicated students across all schools and faculties in the University of Nottingham Malaysia (UNM) under the supervision of academic staff from the School of Modern Languages and Culture (SMLC).
The IGNITE image and brand of UNM Student Media was first created and established by Ben Hunte and Eiman Mirghani on 12 November 2012.
We are constantly recruiting new writers, editors and photographers to join the IGNITE family and contribute to the official student media at UNM. We focus mainly on events, projects and issues that involve the UNM student and staff community.
We are mainly looking for:
(1) aspiring journalists who are invested in long-form, serious reporting;
(2) those with a keen insight on creating fun, humorous and entertainment-oriented content.
(3) individuals who are interested in contributing to the advertising, public relations and technical aspects (i.e. working with WordPress) of IGNITE.
We Are Hiring!
If you would like to be part of our IGNITE 9.0 team as a writer, photographer or just to contribute to IGNITE in other capacities, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or @unmcignite on Instagram!
Additionally, we are pleased to announce that IGNITE writers and photographers will be able to get Nottingham Advantage Award (NAA) credit for their work! Interested students will have to fill in an application form and submit it before the deadline. As an NAA student, you have to publish 3 articles (or photos from three photography assignments) by the end of the semester, as well as submit a 500 word reflective essay, to receive 10 NAA credits.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does being an IGNITE Writer involve?
A writer is a regular member of the student media crew; they work closely with Editors and publish articles in accordance with a rotational schedule. The writer will receive perks such as Entry Passes to events, certificates at the end of the academic year to support his/her/their CV and a recommendation from the existing Editor-in-Chief. Writers will be expected to hone their writing, proofreading, editing, researching and interviewing skills.
Each writer will be designated to one of IGNITE’s main sections: News, Opinion, Sports, Science & Tech, Style, Travel, Food, Performing Arts, Music or Literature. We expect writers to take an active interest in the news relevant to their section and make each article as fun and interesting as possible.
Why do we need photographers?
IGNITE isn’t just about writing articles. As a student magazine who values all forms of media, we cover ongoing on-campus and off-campus events such as Nations Cup, International Cultural Night, Student Association Elections and more! We need photographers to capture moments during these events. IGNITE will feature these photos in our articles and social media posts!
How do I become a Section Editor?
1) Vacancy. IGNITE will advertise via university email, on our website and on our social media pages if there’s a position vacant. Please note that once these positions are filled, the next availability will be at the start of the next academic year as we rotate our section editors every year.
2) Experience. Students with relevant experience in the field of journalism, reporting and generally writing will be greatly appreciated. However! Don’t be discouraged to sign up even if you don’t have any relevant experience!
3) Interested candidates must demonstrate genuine interest and knowledge of the section as well as a good command of the English language. They must be timely, responsive and adhere to deadlines. As leaders of their teams, they must also lead by example and help foster the development of other student writers.
How do I become the Editor-in-Chief?
1) Become a committed member of the student media crew as a Writer or Section Editor.
2) Write consistently and work constantly to improve your journalistic skill.
Will training be provided?
IGNITE uses WordPress to publish our articles. Basic training will be provided to Section Editors, whereas writers and photographers will be counseled by experienced IGNITE members. The rest is all learnt through experience.
Still have more burning questions? Contact us at email@example.com or @unmcignite over on Instagram